Sunday, January 27, 2008

Road trip, shots, dresses, and the best feeling in the world

Last weekend my sister and I drove little Maya down to the Valley to visit our Grandparents. It was a nice, long, leisurely weekend with good weather and great company. Our Grandparents are thinking of moving north (to Central Texas) and we want to get in as much “Valley” time as we can. We both learned a lot of things down in the Valley and we have tons of cherished memories of being at Grandma’s and Grandpa’s. I remember learning to swim there, learning how to tie my shoes, losing my first tooth there, many summer vacations and wonderful Christmas’s. I wanted Maya to get a glimpse of what it is like and I hope that Grandma and Grandpa will stick it out for the rest of this year so Maya can have a Christmas in the Valley. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Some good memories were made on this trip.

Doing calisthenics with Great-Grandma.

Listening to Aunt Joyce read Curious George. (Trying really, really hard not to fall asleep!)
Smiling with Mom.

Posing in front of the beautiful poinsettias in the back yard.

Smiling in the car on the way home.

Miss Maya got her first round of immunizations on Tuesday. It was excruciating watching her be such a trooper getting five shots, but Mom and Dad know that this short round of pain is much better than the bad diseases she could get. Great-Grandma had Polio, Great-great-uncle died of strep throat, Grandpa got meningitis and lost his hearing, so many reasons why getting immunized over not. This is a very personal decision and we know some people have a hard time with it, but it just makes sense to us in our family.

Today, Maya wore her first dress! I know, she’s two months old and she’s just now wearing a dress?! Well, she actually wore two dresses today. Had a little accident in the first one (super cute Gap dress from “Aunt” Farley and “Uncle” Mark). Second one (thanks “Aunt” Dena and “Uncle” Brian!) got to pose on the front porch.

And the best feeling in the world. Maya has been sleeping in her crib in her room by herself for the last few days and at 3:30 this morning I went in to check on a fussy Maya. When she saw me, she gave me the BIGGEST open mouth smile I have ever seen. She just lit up with joy to see Mom. That just made my heart swell up a million times bigger and made getting up at 3:30 not so bad. I love my little girl more than anything. She is my joy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maya's got such big pretty eyes! You think they're gonna be green? I can't wait to see her. --Olivia